Predictive maintenance is one of the hottest topics in IoT space. Someone might think it is too soon to talk about predictive analysis since lots of companies are still struggling on data collection. Let's have a look at what is actually happening on the market for predictive maintenance in practice.
In the past few years, many use cases are better defined and better suited the data and analytic technology. There are many more viable pilots being executed, large quantities of data being collected, and many of the early predictive maintenance experiments are actually being rolled out into production.
Backed by descriptive analysis, the actual deployed solutions are moving beyond descriptive to more predictive analytics. More importantly, they are actually prescriptive in nature, automating response in real or near real-time. This is critical, because in order for predictive maintenance to be truly viable, it must span the full analytic spectrum, from descriptive, to predictive and prescriptive.
Predictive maintenance covers a wide spectrum of events and provides a wide range of benefits. Among them, here are some examples: predict failure events and minor/major anomalies, insight into enhancements to reduce future failures, determine which assets have the highest risk of potential problems, reduction of maintenance costs and downtime, minimize brand damage and customer dissatisfaction.
I have identified 8 predictive maintenance case studies for different industies for your reference. Click on the links below for detailed information on each case study and vendor.
Industry: Building and Infrastructure
- Worldsensing - Bridge monitoring in Hamburg Port
- Sensr - Burlington Bridge
Industry: Nuclear Energy
- Saffron - Reducing Operating Costs And Improving Safety
- Saffron - Detecting and Reducing Cost of Fraud Rings
- Elmodis - Monitoring of Pressure Pumps in Automotive Industry
- Digi - Minimizing Downtime through Predictive Asset Monitoring
Industry: Fleet Management
- PTC - Transformation for IoT Business Model in Connected Industrial Vehicles
- Altiux Innovations - Fleet Management Solution